31 January 2019

Luce Goose (at age 22 months)

Our little Lucy is going to be two in only 6 weeks and I am shocked by this. She is absolutely the cutest little person and I love the stage she is in. She seems very advanced for her age--based on what I remember from the boys--and she can hold her own in basically every way.

I am continually being surprised by things she can do. She's been climbing on the couches for six months already, she has been opening doors for months, she can go get paper and markers whenever she wants to color and take off the lids and go to work (luckily, she's internalized early the need for paper whenever she's coloring... mostly). She can catch a ball (which seems amazing for a one-year-old) and sing along to tons of songs and nursery rhymes (she sings the whole ABCs and Baa Baa Black Sheep and will sing "Rockabye Baby" to her dolls sometimes). She jumps on the trampoline with the boys (as opposed to Dane, who at this age would scream at everyone else to get off so he could jump by himself because he hated being bounced by them) and will let herself out in the backyard to play when she wants to. She thinks that Graham's friends are her friends and is devastated when she doesn't get to go on his playdates with him. She knows all her aunts' and uncles' names and talks about them frequently, and can swipe around on my phone to get to whatever specific apps she wants to--it's scary.

She is already like a two-year-old in her determination to do everything "by self!" She insists on climbing into her carseat "by self!" She has to do her buckle in her carseat "by self!" She has to buckle herself into her booster seat at the table "by self!" (She boycotted the high chair and refused to sit in that any more.) She wants to put on her shoes "by self!" She's and Graham are polar opposites--he's always asking me to help him with things he's been able to do for months, whereas she's pushing me away and trying to zip her own jacket wayyy before she's able to do it. She also is very "terrible twos" in her ability to throw tantrums as well... but luckily those are not very long-lasting.

She got this doll stroller for Christmas and she LOVES it. She loves her dollies now and is so cute carrying them around. 

Often she will insist on her stroller coming and sitting next to her on the couch when we read books. 


She has very strong opinions about what she wants to do and wear and eat and say. She would probably be a lot harder if she were my first and if I were as strict with her about things as I was with Dane, but I'm learning what things to let go of. Like I hardly ever use the stroller with her, but I had Dane in that stroller any time we went into any store or place, or he was buckled into the cart and was not allowed to get out. Lucy has refused to sit in the front of the cart for months and insists on sitting in the big part where the food goes. And then after a while she insists on walking by me. That was a big no-no with Dane, but Lucy doesn't run away or get into mischief. She's like a little lady walking next to me and it's so adorable and cute.

She HAS to do whatever the boys are doing. HAS TO. 

She was helping Tommy put together these IKEA chairs and table, and any time she would drop a screw, she'd say, "Oh shoot!" THE CUTEST.


I love so much to see my kids "reading" before they can read. 

Baby selfie. This is so adorable. 

She is an amazing talker, which is such a surprise to us after Graham, who didn't put any words together until a few months after he turned two. She has been speaking in sentences for months. She will even say things like, "I'm thirsty. I need a drink of water." Of course, it sounds like "I fisty... need dint wadda" but she's putting so many words together. Today we said "Promise?" while talking to Dane and Lucy chimes in from the other room, "Promise! Promise.. sounds Thomas! Choo choo!" We were blown away that she could recognize a rhyme and verbalize it like that. I'm still not sure where she comes from. 

She is definitely my daughter with her love of chocolate though. We told the kids they could have some candy the other night and Lucy yells, "CANDY! YAAAAAAAAAAAASSSS!" Louder than either of the boys!

She is such an angel when she's sleeping. (And soooo obsessed with her pacifiers. I am so worried about taking them away. We need to just do it but she is so attached.)


Look at that beautiful face!

Yep. My daughter. 

She is SO cute about loving to help me and trying to follow me around. Any time I'm doing laundry she runs over and wants to move it into the dryer. She always wants to help put the clothes away when I'm done folding them. She LOVES to help me sweep with the dustpan, and will rush over and grab the dustpan as soon as she sees the broom come out and will very carefully will carry it over to the trash with me to dump the crumbs in. It is so sweet. She's much more in tune to helping than the boys ever have been. (I'm always wondering how much of these things are her being a girl or just her personality.)

Having a rough afternoon...

... until she got a graham cracker. 

My little shopping buddy... with her chapstick (with no lid) and her "Mi Mouse" coloring book that she wouldn't put down.

She seriously could not be cuter. I love seeing her develop her own interests in things that are totally separate from her brothers... she plays a lot with cars and trains because that's what Graham is doing, but it's so cute to see her play with her dolls and get super excited about "Mi Mouse," because I know that's ALL her. We have literally nothing with Minnie Mouse in our house except this one half-used Mickey Mouse workbook, and a Minnie Mouse shampoo I put in her stocking. Those two things were all she needed to become really attuned to Minnie Mouse and now she points her out anywhere we see her. 

These two are such cute little buddies together. They play so nicely while Dane is at school (... well, most of the time). 

I love having a girl. And I love that my girl is Lucy. She is feisty and independent and stubborn and oh, so sweet. (Any time anyone gets hurt or seems sad or is crying she runs over to them and says, really concerned, "Oh, sorry! Sorry, Dane! I sorry!" Until they feel better.) I am a little scared for her to get older because it seems like she will be running circles around all of us. But I'm so proud of her already.

No comments: