we were driving home the other night and britney spears' new song came on the radio. (i hate that i even know it is by britney spears. and it's been stuck in my head CONSTANTLY lately.)
and tommy said, "wouldn't it be nice if you could just vote some celebrities out of office? like, i'm sorry, britney, but you are no longer famous."
yes, that would be nice. you know what, lindsay lohan? 95% of americans think you are a ridiculous human being. you are no longer famous. bam. hello, kardashians--you are completely worthless celebrities and you must now pay a fine to the rest of the american population for dumbing them down on your tv show. bam.
(wouldn't it be satisfying?)
pet peeve #2: improper uses of quotation marks.
in the elevator at the sevys' apartment building, it says on the wall:
"ASK FOR ELEVATOR KEY TO STOP ELEVATOR" (or something to that effect).
also, this happens a lot on t-shirts and company cars.
"McMillan family reunion 1985"
"The longest race in America!"
"Your best bet for cleaning your windows"
but WHY are those statements enclosed within quotation marks? did somebody SAY it? who said it? why does it matter if somebody said it? WHY DID YOU WRITE THE SENTENCE AS A QUOTE when it clearly is not?
ugh. this is one of my serious editing pet peeves.
post-edit: my friend allison sent me this website, and it is a PERFECT illustration of what i mean when i talk about improper quotation marks.
5 comments:
You'll appreciate this website ... http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/
I love the idea of voting celebrities out of "office" (quotation mark justification: "office" seems too generous a term!). I would like to add Snooki and the casts of reality TV shows to the list.
You forgot Charlie Sheen. He is such an idiot and we're STILL hearing about his stupid life. Leave us alone charlie!
You know what's sad though? Lindsay Lohan was/is an amazing actress. C'mon, let's be honest. She was great in Parent Trap and also in Freaky Friday. And then Mean Girls? You better believe it. What? I'll admit it. Then she went all psycho on us... Such a waste of talent.
And good call on the unnecessary quotes. "I'm with you on that one."
And my word for the word verification below is "croch", just thought you should all know that.
And Paris Hilton. And the Bachelor, although my roommates would kill me if they knew I said that.
Other pet peeve... when people use the wrong homonym. Example (and I can use quotes because I'm going to pretend to say something) "Their such great people". GAH it makes my skin crawl.
Post a Comment