16 September 2016

Utah almost-reunion with the Leininger clan

Well, like two months ago we headed up to Utah to spend a week with the Leiningers. We chose the week that we did because the Sevys were going to be there in between their move from China to Taiwan, and Troy and Sarah were also going to be there from Denmark as well. We HATE to miss out on what sounds like such a fun party so we booked our flights out there to be there at the same time. We were just missing the California Leiningers and Sister Leininger--so it was almost a full reunion without going anywhere! It was awesome. Every time I go on a trip anywhere I am so tired by the time I come home but the minute I start looking through the pictures I just keep thinking, "That was so fun! I am so glad we did that and we got to see those people and I wish we could go back!" This totally applies here. And every time we go to Utah I thank my lucky stars I have such a great, fun, wonderful family of in-laws that I love visiting and that love me back, even when I get cranky and tired traveling with our crazy kiddos!

We did a lot of fun excursions the whole week we were there. We went down to BYU one day, down to Salt Lake one day, to the This Is the Place monument and village, to the Ogden Dinosaur Park, tubing down the Ogden River. We were busy the whole time with these fun things. But really, the true reason we were there, and the best part about the trip, was all of the cousin time that our kids got. Oh my gosh, I couldn't get enough of seeing Dane running around with his cousins. They were all so cute and had so much fun together--and it's so rare that we all get to see each other. It was totally worth all the hassle of traveling to give them these memories together.

These pictures are completely out of chronological order. There is no chance of me reorganizing them to work out better. Just take 'em as they come. 

We took a trip down to BYU. Here's all the former Cougs together on top of the JFSB.

Tommy's old building.

My old building.

The Y, after having J-Dawgs for lunch.

Ogden Dinosaur Park--being chased by a dinosaur!

All the sisters and sisters-in-law got a pedicure together. A perfect morning out. We were very entertained by Kristen reading us her texts between her and her new boyfriend and helping her decipher. I love my sisters-in-law.

Have you ever seen anything cuter than a boy in a hammock?

The big group of almost everyone together. We were of course missing the few Leiningers who weren't there.

These cute cousins were completely having a blast.


Maddie loved giving everyone her chapstick. The whole family got their chapstick applied from the same tube... Luckily nobody was sick.

Dane wanted to eat every meal outside with his cousins.

Mayah was such a good big cousin to these cute boys.

Possibly the favorite being in the house is JET. Graham followed him around trying to smack him in the face all day long. Luckily Jet was pretty patient... And good at trying to escape.

Graham also loved Troy. When someone is willing to toss you in the air indefinitely, you keep them around.

We played Pie Face a few times and everyone loved it--adults and kids. 

It was so cute to see how delighted Dane was by getting creamed. He couldn't stop laughing.

Major love for these cousins here.

And for these ones. We even got matching shirts for the boys.

We had not one, but TWO marshmallow gun wars. One of the days was boys vs girls. 

And GUESS WHO WON??? We were very serious about it. I ran through the trees and totally scraped up my feet to pull out the flag. BOOM.

We floated down the Ogden River, which they said was very kid-friendly--so we had all the kids/babies in laps. It was totally kid friendly, except when Dane and I fell out of our tube and lost it and got dragged down the river for a long while and couldn't get a hold on anything. It was pretty scary in the moment (even though I knew we weren't in any danger--it was only about a foot deep). I don't think I want to tube with babies in laps again, haha.

We didn't have enough car space to get down to Salt Lake one day, so these boys and their dads rode the TRAIN down. BEST DAY EVER.

This picture just makes me laugh. Dane looks like the most relaxed overlord of this dinosaur ever.

Salt Lake! Our kids loved taking pictures here.

This will most definitely not be our Christmas card. Gross.

It was cute to show the boys the Christus statue even though they were completely irreverent about it.

Zach and Dane were soooo cute together.


Graham was really into trying to feed other people food while we were there.

This Is the Place monument on the day before Pioneer Day. I thought we would get to do more Pioneer Day stuff being in Utah, but since it was on a Sunday it was a little awkward.


Panning for gold with cousins.

Graham was all about the petting zoo.

We ate lots of meals outside with this crew. Doughnuts for breakfast one morning at Melissa's house.

Graham and Grandpa. Graham really loved all the men--uncles and grandpas--on this trip.

There was usually a bit of forced downtime every day with boys getting to watch shows together.

Or even playing games on phones together. 

We really squeezed a TON of stuff into our time there. And we weren't even trying to orchestrate an international move like the Sevys were (phew!). I truly LOVE getting to spend time with the Leiningers and I hope we can do a real reunion sometime in the next few years again. Those are the best. I firmly believe there is nothing better than cousin time to make a kid's summer great.

No comments: