17 September 2016

Joy School!

Right before we left for Utah AGAIN, Dane had his first-ever day of Joy School. Last year, while he was three, I did "preschool time" with him most days during Graham's morning nap. We did worksheets and art projects and I really enjoyed doing that stuff with him. But it was definitely time for him to have something a little more organized this year. We are doing Joy School with three of his other little friends from our ward, and he is totally thrilled about it. It's two mornings a week for 2.5 hours. I really am excited for him and for all the wonderful things about Joy School. I remember a lot of the songs from when I did Joy School (especially, "Oh, Boy, I've Got Joy") and I remember some of the art projects too! I love that this program doesn't stress academics but is more about experiences and learning about life, and giving these kids the social experiences and fun that they need. All the kids look forward to "Free Play Time" the most, and are so cute playing together. 

This was his first day of Joy School. He insisted on wearing his (empty) backpack to go to school.



They were so cute all sitting on their mats with their names on them. They sat and listened so well on their first day.

I got to teach Joy School this last week (especially since it was Dane's birthday this week and I wanted it to count for his "birthday party"). I loved seeing him and his friends playing together. Dane was definitely the craziest and most out of control of the kids... Just way too excited about having all his friends at our house. I hope he's slightly better at his friends' houses.

We had a fun unit this week about the five senses. They got to fingerpaint with chocolate pudding, make a "scent collage" with different spices, listen to lots of different sounds and talk about them, and we did some dancing and singing too. They all totally understood the five senses and could repeat them back to me on the second day. So cute!

No comments: