09 October 2013

dane's first word

It was really sad for Dane to be away from his Daddy all week while we were in Ithaca. Tommy had been out of town for half of the week before doing interviews in CA, and then a few days after he got back Dane and I left for the week. So I think Dane was REALLY missing his daddy, his number one favorite person in the whole wide world. When we got back home, he wouldn't let me touch him or do anything with him. Good thing it was the weekend, so Tommy was home all weekend, because all he wanted was Tommy. And it was when I tried to take him from Tommy to hold him myself that Dane said his first words: 

"Nononononono!"

I'm serious. He not only said "No!" to me trying to hold him, he pointed his finger at me and shook it! He pointed right at me, with a nasty little look on his face, and said "Nonononono!" He's never said a single word before (other than "uh oh" whenever he drops something, which doesn't really count)* and this is what he comes up with first. 

It's made Tommy and I wonder if we say no to him too much or something (but, I mean, he's so often getting into things he shouldn't be, and so often doing things that are about to lead to disaster, that it's pretty normal to have to tell him no reasonably often during the day, right?). He's taken to using "Nononono" whenever we start walking in a different direction than where he wants to go, whenever we take away something, and really just all the time. We're so glad to see that he's already figured out how to defy us before he's figured out how to tell us anything else.

And don't worry. I'm not really that offended that Dane says "no" to me holding him. It was actually kind of nice to not change a single diaper all weekend because he only wanted his daddy. 





*I should also mention that he's also said "ball" and "banana" in the last few days (and we THINK he's said them before now, but it's so hard to tell because "ba ba" and "na na" are sounds he's been making for a while). It's so cute to hear him say "ba" and hand me one of his many balls and ask for a banana whenever he sees one. 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Haha! I loved this post. I could just picture Dane saying no and shaking his finger at you. When he and Zach get together, they are going to be double trouble because Zach is getting into his little defiant stage, too! Loved all the pics of Dane! He is getting so big!