Everyone knows that 10/12 is a BIG day around these parts. We look forward to it all year (especially by seeing it on the clock twice a day). I turned 25 this year, which seems like a nice round number that should be celebrated in an extra-special way. Since we are super classy people with expensive tastes, we did some really fancy things to celebrate.
First, I went to teach at Durham Tech at eight in the morning, so I had to get up at six to prepare. But I made sure to eat my birthday cereal and open the birthday cards I got from parents and grandparents before I went.
After class, Tommy picked me up and told me we were going to a little farm/pumpkin patch place, which sounded awesome because Dane would love it and we are just obsessed with doing whatever Dane wants to do. Turns out good thing I wasn't set on going because it was a LIE--we were actually going to a surprise party my friends threw for me at their house! And the even more awesome part of it was that it was a HARRY POTTER surprise party, which really just took the cake. (I had been thinking about having a birthday party, but I never got around to planning one [TOO MUCH WORK!] and these awesome friends had known I was wanting to do it and just did it for me. It was so fun and wonderful of them.) And I didn't even get a picture with them at the party--but thanks so much to Sarah, Stephanie, and Libby for all of the fantastic planning and excitement.
There were all sorts of Harry Potter-themed foods, like Cauldron Cupcakes and Corned Beef Sandwiches and all other delicious and fun sorts of foods that were named Harry Potter names.
Oh yeah, Tommy brought our Harry Potter costumes that we made a few years ago and tried to get me to wear it for the party. I put on the cape, which was actually just a $3 vampire cape we got a the dollar store. So if I don't actually look like Hermione Granger in these pictures, that's why.
And we played some awesome Harry Potter trivia games, which I totally failed at and which made me really think hard about re-reading the books. It's been almost a year and a half since I last read them--I think it's time Harry and I reunite. Joanna and Sarah killed the rest of us with their HP trivia--hats off to the Ehrisman sisters!
After the fabulous party, Tommy and I went home and we got Dane down for his nap and continued celebrating by taking a nap too. We had a babysitter all lined up for the evening, but no real plans, so we decided spur-of-the-moment to buy tickets to see Beauty and the Beast at the DPAC that night. It was super last-minute but such a fun splurge to do something exciting. And the play was awesome! We really loved it and had a great time seeing the show.
It was a really great birthday! The big 2-5, my friends. I still feel like I'm always the youngest person I know (at church, with friends, anywhere) so I'm still glad to hit another year to reach an age where people will take me seriously and not just think I'm just a baby. It's weird to think that when we moved here to Durham I was only 21 and Tommy was 25 himself. That really makes it seem like we've been here for a while. But this last year really has been the best--and FASTEST--yet (thanks to our little friend). I can't wait to see what my twenty-sixth year will be like.
No comments:
Post a Comment