If you know me, you know I'm not much of a crafty or cutesy person. I'm not a great decorator and I don't do great at making things look great. And generally, I'm not a great party planner or anything. But I had a big idea for my 30th birthday--I wanted to have a big party at our house doing something fun with lots of people. So a few weeks ago we decided to go big: we ordered a Murder Mystery game from a website online and invited 8 other couples (!) to come over and play it with us. (We figured that some people wouldn't be able to come, but everyone did! It was a ton of people but it was so fun.) The best part about the murder mystery game was that it was 80s themed, which meant that everyone had a great time dressing up and I had such a great time decorating for it.
Everyone is assigned a character and has to dress up like that character. I was so impressed by our friends--they really went all out for their costumes. And everyone's acting skills were so fantastic!
We spent hours putting up all the decorations. We probably didn't need to go so big, but I had a vision of what I wanted and I thought it would make the night so much more fun. And it worked out great. We had a PacMan wall:
Giant Rubix cubes, slinkies hanging from the ceiling, and records decorating the wall (records from the thrift store, haha!),
And 80s quotes, from 80s movies, commercials, songs, etc. decorating all the other walls.
We also spent a long time putting together this photo backdrop for the pictures of people when they came in. I didn't plan it this way, but Tommy's costume was one of my favorites of the whole night. He looked SO spot on like Ozzy Osbourne, and he really got into it. I just couldn't stop laughing at him. He even colored his nails black and wrote OZZY on his knuckles. IT WAS THE BEST. I was Punky Brewster, although I've never seen the TV show and don't know much about it. But I think we both got our costumes pretty well.
Here was everyone else! An 80s cheerleader, El Vampira, Paula Abdul, an 80s preppie girl, Madonna, Jessica Bunny, Punky Brewster, Debbie Gibson, and Cindy Lauper.
An 80s nerd, Ozzy Osbourne, David Bowie, the karate kid, Crocodile Dundee, Teenage Werewolf, Scarface, Mork from Ork, and an 80s prep.
The best group shot we could get with the self timer, haha.
Everyone had to get into their characters and spread the clues that they learned from their clue cards they were given each round. There was a lot of mingling and chatting and spreading rumors, and everyone did a great job.
I loved how everyone got into character!
After we solved the mystery, we gave out prizes for the best costume, best actor, and super sleuth (whoever figured it out first), and Tommy got out a twinkie (in true 80s fashion) with candles to sing a belated happy birthday to me.
So anyways, like I said at the beginning of this post--I am not a natural party planner, but I had a great time planning this party and getting everything put together. It wasn't very stressful at all--it was just purely fun. I guess if I need to plan a party, I'd better just make sure it's 80s themed so the decorations are easy and fun to do. I'd even consider making this a once-a-year thing, because I want to be better about having people over. This is the first time we have ever done anything like this, and it went so well.
No comments:
Post a Comment