15 October 2017

Perot Museum

I had a few family goals set for us at the beginning of this year. One of them was for us to learn all the Articles of Faith, which we did great for the first four and then totally fell off the wagon. One was for us to do service activities, which we have failed at miserably. But one was to do one family date a month (meaning, a fun outing with all of us, once a month), and we've been doing that pretty well. I wanted to force myself to plan something out of the ordinary just once a month, because it's amazing how it's easy to spend every Saturday just doing chores or puttering around the house instead of ever going out of our routine and trying new things. Of course, I want to spend our Saturdays being productive and doing chores, but I also want to do stuff like this every once in a while. 

So, for Labor Day, when Tommy was off work, we headed downtown into Dallas and went to the Perot Science Museum. It is a cool science museum, mostly aimed at kids, with some really cool and interesting exhibits. I've been once, when we first moved here and Camille and Brandon were visiting, but we've never been back. Reasons why: it's super expensive, and far away, and Dane was so young last time we went that it was totally pointless. Now, it was fun (but still expensive and far away, so we won't go back for a long time). I'm really glad we went, because it was a nice morning and really interesting and interactive, so both Dane and Graham were entertained. There was a robotics exhibit that Tommy was really into also. It was a great family date and something I've wanted to do for a while.


Dane has been really interested in space lately, so he liked the space exhibit.


Tommy the meteorologist, with his assistant.

At the bottom of the science museum was a kids' museum. Of course, they were thrilled to be there and once we got there, there was no going back to the "educational" part of the museum. Graham spent like 20 minutes moving these bananas around.

And Dane could have worked forever moving these blocks up this ramp. He seriously was enthralled. And then they found the sandbox in the back and it was all over. Why bother with anything else when there is dirt to dig in? That is my kids' philosophy about playing, anywhere, ever.



And after we finished at the museum, we got Shake Shack for lunch! Yep, a real official Shake Shack in downtown Dallas. It was really fantastic and satisfying. I can see why people are obsessed. 

No comments: