1. Oatmeal. Not for me, for the boys. They are totally inhaling their oatmeal right now and making my life so much easier. No more wondering what I can get Graham to eat for breakfast--he will eat an entire adult-sized bowl of oatmeal as long as I put a scoop of yogurt in it and a big bunch of frozen blueberries. They both LOVE the oatmeal with blueberries in it and I am feeling like a huge winner in getting them to eat a healthy breakfast every day. I, of course, refuse to eat oatmeal and eat some cereal or a bagel after they've finished their oatmeal.
2. Audiobooks. I spent the five minutes it took to figure out how to download e-audiobooks from the library to my iPhone and it is amazing. I've listened to five books already this year, books that I'd meant to read for YEARS and never gotten around to. There just isn't always tons of time to sit down and read, but I have SO MUCH TIME that I can listen to stuff while doing other things (like exercising, doing dishes, sewing). Our library has an excellent selection of e-audiobooks so I think this system will work for a long time without me having to pay for anything. Hooray!
3. Nesting. I am totally excited about getting our house in order before the baby comes, and this involves buying lots of stuff and actually trying to decorate, which I never do. I'm even sewing!! I pulled out my sewing machine, which I hadn't used since we lived in North Carolina (I'm pretty sure), and it didn't work any more (it was an ancient hand-me-down from a friend there), so I used an Amazon gift card to order a new one and I sewed some new curtains for the baby's room. I've realized there is just something so satisfying about making something (even bean bags, which I also made). I would love to make sewing a more regular thing, but let's be honest, it probably won't. But it's nice to do every once in a while. And the baby's room/guest room is starting to come together, more than just being a mattress on the floor, which it has been for the last year, and so is our room--the two rooms I'm focusing on decorating right now.
4. Texas weather. I LOVE YOU IN JANUARY, Texas. These temperatures are right up my alley--sixties and low seventies most days, sometimes colder, but not freezing. It's always windy and sometimes that makes things too cold, but there are always at least one or two days a week where we can go to the park (unlike the summer, when it's always just. too. hot). I love being outside and not sweating.
5. Joy School. We had some drama with Joy School with one mom pulling out for the rest of the year, but the whole issue made me realize how glad I am that we have done Joy School this year and how much fun it has been for Dane. He loves it, loves getting so much time with friends. Yesterday after his friends got picked up, Dane looked sad and then came into my room five minutes later and just burst into tears--crying because he wanted more time with his friends. Also, the silver lining about losing our fourth kid from Joy School is that it's much easier to manage three kids than just four, and they don't seem to notice! I'm also excited because I found a preschool for Dane that I am feeling good about and we are really looking forward to for next year. It'll just be two mornings a week, basically like Joy School, but he is totally going to love it--and his two Joy School buddies are doing the same one as well.
6. Graham learning letters. He doesn't talk very much--he uses a lot of sign language to get around and just figured out how to nod for yes or shake his head for no, which takes him pretty far. He seriously probably says 20 words total (including, randomly, "pool" and "trash truck"--but he can't tell me when he's hungry). But somehow he has taught himself some letters. He knows B, O, D, and S and will point them out any time he sees them. It's so cute to hear him say "B! B!" when looking at a sign or at writing on my shirt. I don't know how he learned them. He's basically a non-communicative, shrieking genius. Ha.
7. Doctor's appointments. JUST KIDDING I am not loving those--but if you looked at our calendar you would think that I really did. It seems like we have 1-2 a week, between my constant OB/endocrinologist appointments and then our random dentist appointments and the boys constantly getting sick. I told Tommy that at this rate we are going to use up our FSA money just on co-pays for doctor's visits, not even counting the hospital bill we will get for the baby. I am trying to take the boys with me to as few doctor's appointments as I can, but I feel guilty asking friends to watch them so many times a week.
8. Clean carpets. We rented a carpet cleaner over the weekend and IT WAS AMAZING. I can't stop staring at our carpets and admiring them.
9. A month of no sugar. Ha--just kidding. We intended to do that, but turned out we had a hard time turning down amazing peanut butter cookies that someone brought to our house. So we ended up doing no sugar/desserts for the week and allowing ourselves to indulge on the weekends. That is super lame of us (comparatively), but we had been eating SO BADLY for the last month (or five) with so much dessert in the house at Christmastime that I actually felt really, really proud of myself for having the willpower to withstand desserts for any length of time at all. For a really long time I have been unable to resist having a dessert every. single. evening--and not just a small dessert, but a huge bowl of ice cream, for example. So I am happy to be a little more in control and not overdoing it any more. Of course, this habit will definitely fall by the wayside after the baby comes.
10. Baby's names. Just kidding. Naming babies is the worst thing ever and it stresses me out. The end.
No comments:
Post a Comment