04 November 2016

Halloween

So a few weeks ago when I asked Dane what he wanted to be for Halloween he said he wanted to be a dinosaur. I spent a while perusing Amazon looking at dinosaur costumes and this was the best one I could find that wasn't $60. (I mean, who spends that much on a costume for their kid???) He was thrilled about it and didn't seem to notice that the head was ridiculously oversized, hahaha. He loved that there was a tail and said he was a very scary T-Rex. I have to say that I was happy that he didn't think about being a superhero like every other boy in the world--although I am positive that he will want to do that next year. He was very happy with his costume.


We had a lot of Halloween festivities this year. First off was the Joy School Halloween program--which involved a parade with the four of them and their costumes, and then them singing two Halloween songs. They were so cute. We love Joy School! This was Dane's first day back after a two-week break while he was sick and in the hospital. So happy to be back in our normal routines.




We finally found a time to go to the pumpkin patch and buy a couple of pumpkins to carve. It's funny--the first year we lived here I took Dane to the pumpkin patch at least five times--because it was free, and they have a bounce house and a hay ride and a hay maze and he loved it. This year we barely made it at all. Life gets busier.




We went on the hayride together and got a semi-decent family picture! Just don't look too closely at Tommy's pinkeye, haha.

And miracle of miracles--a cute picture of the boys with some pumpkins. Good thing too--because I didn't get any good pictures of their costumes. They didn't want to pose at all.

SO cute.

The Saturday before Halloween was super-Halloween-y. We went to the Dallas Arboretum to use our family pass one last time before it expired, and after playing in the children's garden for a while, we discovered that they had a little trick-or-treating going on through the main gardens. Once the boys realized what was going on we had no choice. Graham got one bite of candy and literally IMPLODED into a puddle of tears and snot as he begged for more and more. We thought he was choking on something or hurt himself--but the minute we gave him another piece of candy the tears stopped.

Post-tantrum sucker. See the tears still running down his cheeks.

The arboretum had their pumpkin area set up again with thousands of pumpkins. We probably were there on their busiest day of the season, right before Halloween, so it was crazy crowded. 

Graham refused to get off this pumpkin. He sat on it like a throne sucking on his prize.

 Later that day, we finally carved our pumpkins. Dane wanted to do a scary pumpkin and a bat.



And as soon as we finished the pumpkins we went over to the church for our trunk-or-treat. Graham knocked over the cart that had all of the cookies on it for the kids' cookie walk and threw my bowl of chili all over the grass. We probably should have just gone home.

This was how Dane felt about having to take a picture before the trunk or treat. Ha!

But he was pretty excited about it afterwards. Graham was shell-shocked.

Halloween morning I wanted to make it slightly fun and we made pumpkin waffles and cut them out with pumpkin and spider cookie cutters. They were a huge hit. And SUPER delicious.



And in the morning we were invited to a friend's house for a cute little Halloween party for all the preschoolers in the ward. They had a parade for the kids in their costumes.


And a pinata filled with candy, and lots of cute little games. It was really fun for both boys. Of course they both got their costumes dirty and I wasn't about to take the time to wash them for trick-or-treating, so oh well.


And then our HOA actually had an activity--the very first since we ever moved into this neighborhood! And it involved free pizza at our park before trick-or-treating! So naturally we went, got the free pizza, and talked to the two neighbors we already know.

This was the best pic we got of us on Halloween. HAHA. If I crop it, it probably isn't actually that bad. But the boys really didn't want to be in any more pictures.


Graham got SOOOOO many comments on how cute he was trick-or-treating. It was adorable. He would toddle up to every door and very seriously choose a piece of candy and place it carefully in his bucket. I LOVED it. He was so sweet. I was so glad he wore his costume too. The first time I put it on him he screamed and screamed and writhed until I pulled it off--but he eventually got used to it and didn't mind it at all. 

Our super-scary T-Rex roared at everyone while trick-or-treating.


And Uncle Kurt drove up just for the evening to go trick-or-treating with us! It was so nice of him and the boys LOVED it. They were so excited and both wanted him to hold them the rest of the time, haha. Graham wouldn't go up to any more doors without Kurt holding his hand. These boys are so spoiled to have such nice aunts and uncles.

It was certainly a fun Halloween--but kind of an exhausting week! We are gearing up for the holidays though!

No comments: