14 February 2016

Valentine's Day

Tommy and I went on our first (official) date on the day after Valentine's Day... eight years ago.

He called me to ask me out on Valentine's Day--very brave of him, if you ask me. And the best part is--I missed the call, so he left the world's longest, most awkward message asking me out for the next night. I WISH that I had that message still. I don't even remember what he said. I just remember playing it and laughing, and showing it to my roommates. And later, once we were actually dating, laughing it over with Tommy too.

We went and got pupusas for dinner together on Center Street. When I got in his car and he told me what he had planned, I laughed out loud. It sounds ridiculous, but I honestly thought it was almost too coincidental that this guy, on our first date, was taking me to eat pupusas, a food that has so much history to my family growing up. I didn't even want to tell my family that that's where we went on our date because I knew everyone would raise their eyebrows and say, "Oooooh!" I don't remember much about the date except that we had to walk around for a while until there was space in the restaurant. And I remember finding out that he had eight siblings, and that he was wearing his LAFD t-shirt and that he looked really cute. I really liked him but that meant I was all the more likely to pretend that it wasn't a big deal. I wish I had been better about that. We don't have a single picture of us from that whole winter semester when we were first dating--I just spent an hour looking through our computer and Facebook. So sad.

It's hard to believe that it's been eight years since that first, awkward phone exchange and date. And it's also hard to believe that it's ONLY been eight years--because it feels like we've had life together for a lot longer than that.


This year we had our most low-key V-day celebration to date. We had a heart-shaped pizza for dinner on Saturday (thank you Papa Murphy's). And then this morning we had crepes for brunch and fondue for dessert. How else do you celebrate Valentine's Day except with candy and food? I truly don't know. Tommy got the best Valentine's Day present: he drove the twenty-minute trek south to Trader Joe's and bought some flowers and some dark chocolate peanut butter cups for me. HE GETS ME.

I love my three Valentines. Especially Tommy. I couldn't ask for anything more.

(One of the earliest pictures that we have of the two of us together. From AUGUST 2008. Six whole months after our first date. So sad! But also, we were such babies. Love this.)

No comments: