I hit the jackpot a few weeks before Halloween when I went to Kid 2 Kid and found their Halloween costumes were 30% off. So I got Dane's Halloween costume for $4.50--BOOM! I was so pleased with myself. The only bummer thing was that he had acted super excited about being Elmo but became less so as the holiday got closer. We luckily were able to convince him that he would get candy if he wore his Elmo costume, so it all worked out and we got some adorable pictures (which is really the only reason kids get dressed up at this age anyways, right?).
Our ward had a trunk or treat a week before Halloween, and Dane was THRILLED. We were also pretty excited to finally be able to participate in a trunk or treat instead of just handing out candy like we've done the last four years.
Tommy and I decided to go with the Sesame Street theme and get some t-shirts that matched Dane--Cookie Monster and Big Bird. Unfortunately, we ended up spending way more money on those dumb shirts than we did on Dane's costume, but it was still fun and Dane thought our shirts were awesome.
Dane figured out the deal pretty fast. He would say "trick or treat!" in the cutest voice and got a TON of candy. (Of which he had about 2 pieces and then we ate it ALL.)
We also carved a pumpkin together with Dane. He was super excited about it--at first.
I said, "Dane, look at the yucky guts!" and he yelled "Yucky guts! Yucky guts!" for the next 10 minutes. Then we taught him to say "I love your guts!" and he's been saying that to all our family when we skype with them.
Really interested in helping...
then watching...
and then losing interest altogether and playing with his trains.
The dad forced to do all the work by himself, slaving away.
Everyone was really happy about the end product though! It looked great!
And then we took Dane trick-or-treating! He was so cute and loved it. We really weren't going all that long, and he walks so slow we didn't go to tons of houses (not like when we were in our prime) but still got a TON of candy.
Look at his haul! (Sorry, not sure why these pictures don't rotate.) And Dane really didn't eat all that much of it, haha. Once again, Mom and Dad ate it and Dane never even noticed.
I think Halloween is a way more fun holiday with kids. After you stop trick-or-treating yourself, Halloween is pretty lame for a lot of years--but it is so much fun doing everything with Dane. I just refuse to let the pressure of getting the most perfect and adorable family-themed handmade costumes get to me and we had a great time in our t-shirts and Elmo bodysuit.
Happy Halloween!
No comments:
Post a Comment