17 February 2014

12 dates of 2014: January

We're getting all crazy and out of chronological order here, but I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do. For Christmas this year, Tommy and I basically had the same idea for each other's presents--we both got ideas for dates that we could do and planned them out for each other. Tommy went above and beyond, though, and promised to plan one real, fun, organized date per month for this year. (This makes it sound like we never go on dates, and that's not true, but the number of dates we go on has been severely cut back since having Dane. Now, most of the time we end up just watching movies or playing games together, but it's still fun to get out when we can.)

So, for our January date, we got all into the Olympic spirit and went ice skating. We headed into Raleigh and ate dinner at this delicious Lebanese restaurant called Sitti--we had the most amazing homemade pita bread and these mind-blowing sweet potato dumplings. And then Tommy found out about this outdoor ice skating rink that was set up in downtown Raleigh for a few months of winter, which was really fun (I'm not sure if I've ever ice skated outside before). The rink was hilariously tiny and had tons of cracks and grooves in the ice, but neither of us are very good (although Tommy is much better than I am) so we didn't need very much. I was proud that I didn't fall--that's all I can say for myself. Going ice skating just before the Olympics is a good reminder of how ridiculously amazing those Olympian ice skaters are.





And then this couple got engaged while we were skating, and it was pretty hilariously awkward for the rest of us watching.

So there we go! There was date #1 for the year--and now that I've written about the first one we'd better be sure to actually do the rest.

2 comments:

Tommy Leininger said...

Don't worry, they're going to be bigger and better every month! I have to couples lined up to get engaged during our February date...

Tommy Leininger said...

*two couples. please forgive me, I have sinned.