27 February 2014

12 dates of 2014: February

For our February date, we did a cooking class at Sur la Table! This was my Christmas present to Tommy. I kind of had no idea what to give him, so I was looking for fun date ideas instead of gifts (because gifts usually end up being less exciting), and I stumbled across the cooking classes they offer. They are way too expensive for us to do regularly but I figured for a special Christmas/Valentine's Day present it would work. Especially because I found this class that was being offered--a pizza-making class! It's a class basically made for us, because we love making pizza and trying different dough recipes and we never feel like we're doing it the best we can. So this was an awesome idea for us to try and learn some new tips.


Basically, one thing I learned was that buying the nice cheese DOES make a difference. We never do, but when we had this margherita pizza with the fresh mozzarella--my socks were knocked off. It might be worth a splurge now and again.

Yes, we were those dorky people who kept pulling out their camera for pictures (we don't even have iphones so it was a REAL camera, no less), but I figured that this was our Christmas present and we needed to have documentation of it.


We learned some dough-rolling techniques (which I think will be the most helpful of the class!) and Tommy was the clear master at it. His was a perfect circle. We were all amazed.




The class was really fun. We ended up making three different pizzas, including the dough, and got to eat them all afterwards. It was awesome cooking with all of the stuff already measured out for us in little nice bowls, and with nice fairies who came around after you to clean up! And it kind of involved a lot of marketing ploys with not-so-hidden attempts to sell us stuff from their store, but we are immune to that sort of thing and got out fast. (Although I am kind of thinking about a pizza stone now--maybe once we move we can invest in something like that. We know we make it enough now to make something like that worth it.) And then we snuck over to the movie theater just a few feet away and saw Monuments Men afterwards--and really enjoyed that too. (Using the free tickets we got for completing our family health challenge--thanks Mom and Dad!) All in all, a successful date.

2 comments:

Laurel!!! said...

Truth be told I have a pizza stone I never use, so if you need one I could probably be convinced to part with it (not offering to sell, but give). It would probably get MUCH more use with you.

Libby said...

I should take Russell do that! Although it would be for me. He'd like golfing more probably.