i am lucky to have a mom who is the best piano player in the world. it's true, really; just ask the primary presidency and every member of our ward who wants to do a musical number. she can sight-read everything and play anything. some of the best memories from when i was a kid involve us sitting around her, belting out a song while she played it on the piano.one of these beloved songs was FAME from FAME the musical (it must be written in all caps, come on). do you not know it? here's a clip. the original 80s version is way cooler, but there isn't a very good youtube clip with it.
isn't it great? it makes me just want to shout "FAME!" at random intervals throughout my conversations all day.
so when we saw that hillside high school was doing FAME for their musical on friday, we had to go. because of how much i love this song. we didn't know anything about the rest of the songs, the plot line, or hillside high school. (although tommy did look at the school's website and see that their theater program is "recognized both nationally and internationally.")
it was a disappointment. the sound was bad, the singing was bad, the acting was bad. so we left halfway through (they didn't even have an intermission so we had to sneak out in the dark after one of the [failed] songs.) and went to go get cold stone to make up for the $20 (!!) we spent on a fruitless evening. but it was a good adventure. we are planning to get the movie from the library to make up for missing the rest of it.
for future reference, though: don't count on a high school musical for friday night entertainment. especially not when you're biased by having been at byu, with its awesome mdt program, for the past four years.
5 comments:
saw fame in London.
stayed for 25 minutes until Mom shuffled us out.
that is SOOO funny. The other day my mom and I were laughing about Andrew, who played 'star wars', for years nonstop. and then she told me that your mom played FAME a ton too.
Awesome video, too. The pretty blonde girl with short hair is Adam and Heath Farmer's cousin. Love the music...love the memories. Glad to see you are experiencing the culture of Raleigh/Durham!
I'm pretty sure that I almost checked the 80's FAME out from the library to rent until I realized that it's rated R. Lame. I know that there was a new FAME that came out recently, but I haven't seen it at the library. Let me know if you find it.
I was about to say that about Kherington! She's an awesome dancer... I saw the new movie and I thought it was AWESOME. I love dancing movies though... I wish I could dance.
Post a Comment