One of the major things that we finally accomplished this week was... buying a car! We've only had one car ever since we left North Carolina (Tommy's good old trusty '98 Corolla died before we left) and I've been shuttling Tommy to work ever since, but it just doesn't seem like that's going to keep working with a newborn. We've been talking about how we need to do this--and trying to do it--for months now, but it just never worked out. We were so stressed about it, and couldn't find anything that worked for us, and felt like we needed to find the cheapest clunker car we could find, since we'd probably only need it for two or three years before upgrading to a larger car, so spending more than a few thousand on it felt wasteful.
And after months of being stressed out by looking and talking about finding a car, we had a thought: why not buy a minivan now? It's totally not necessary, but we need a second car now, and we obviously hate car shopping so much that we're just punishing ourselves by knowing we have to do this process twice (now, and again in a few years). Immediately, once we started talking about it, we both just felt so, so much better about this whole thing and knew it was the right decision for us right now. So we spent a few days test driving and looking at some used minivans close to us. Dane was a champion minivan tester with us--we totally wore him out:
And we ended up finding "the one!" A nice blue Honda Odyssey with low mileage and a decent price tag.
I am thrilled about the convenience of it, and so happy that we found something--anything--that will work for us right now--and so soon before the baby comes too! It's a little earlier than we thought we needed it, but it will hopefully last us for a lot of years and we'll eventually be fitting into it a lot better than we do now (it feels silly for me to drive around with just Dane in the backseat). It will make road trips so much easier for us, with so much more storage space, and since we're tentatively planning on driving to Utah and California this summer, this will be a godsend for us come July.
We were joking about how we now have a house and a minivan and (almost) two kids--it's like I'm 36 instead of 26! My mom and sister were teasing us that we're doing just the total typical BYU grad thing, which I'd sworn in my teenage wisdom that I would never do--married super young, staying at home, having babies fast, living in suburbia (and driving a minivan!). And it's true! It sounds so boring and typical when you say it all like that, but it feels so much more important and interesting when it's your life and you're doing it yourself. Everything is so much more important and meaningful than it may appear when you're working with your money and your body and your family. And even though I wanted to be more adventurous and different when I was my wild teenage self (ha), I can't imagine a life I'd fit better in, or one that would be happier or better in. It may be a stereotypical life, but it's mine, and I'm glad I'm living it!




1 comment:
I love it! Life us about convenience, which includes minivans. I remember thinking we were jumping the gun on getting our minivan, but it's been amazing.
Post a Comment