The other big event that happened while we were in Houston was that Tommy celebrated the END OF HIS TWENTIES. On November 28, 2014, Black Friday (so appropriate, right?), he turned 30 years old. There is no return!
Don't worry, Tommy wasn't really dreading turning 30. He did pull his hamstring playing soccer a few weeks ago, and then tweaked his knee as a result of that, and all those injuries seemed symbolic of aging and getting old. But otherwise, 30's looking pretty good. I mean, look! Never looking better!
My mom sent a package for Tommy with this turkey hat in it. We were disappointed that we didn't open the package until his birthday, so we missed the perfect opportunity to wear it on Thanksgiving. Oh well! It was being passed around and worn all day on Friday still. I also gave Tommy this nice, cozy bathrobe he's modeling for us.
Dane looooved the bathrobe and kept burying his face on it to rub it. "So soft!"
Life is good when your birthday is the day after Thanksgiving--pie and hot chocolate for breakfast! And wearing the turkey hat!
Dane finished off Tommy's hot chocolate for him. So helpful.
We went to the museum during the day on his birthday, and then later Tommy got a good nap, and after a delicious Thanksgiving leftovers dinner, in the evening we had--MORE PIE! (Remember how we had 17 pies? We weren't about to make a cake.) We put some candles in the pie and sang "Happy Birthday." Tommy wanted to blow out his candles, but he had a lot of helpers who were eager to assist. Look at this series of photos, hahaha:
We wanted to go on a date to celebrate the big event, and the Bodines kindly watched Dane for us while we went out. I had kind of stressed about finding a fun, memorable date for us to do (it seems like it would be anticlimactic to just go out to dinner for a big birthday like this). The only thing that kept coming to mind was one of those indoor skydiving places--which I'm pretty sure you can't do when you're five months pregnant. But after a lot of searching, I did find something! And I managed to keep it a secret, so Tommy never figured out what it was...
And oh boy was he surprised when we pulled up to a full-blown medieval CASTLE in the middle of Nowhereville, Texas. I found this kind of random but awesome murder mystery dinner--at a castle--and thought that if nothing else, this would be a memorable date. This castle is just some guy's pet project that he's been building/working on for years, and every other weekend they host a murder mystery dinner there. There is a moat around it, with a drawbridge, and a catapult outside, and three pretty big towers--it was definitely amazing.
He used this human hamster wheel to shut the gate and raise the drawbridge.
So Tommy was totally confused and shocked to find us at medieval castle after driving an hour AWAY from everything, but we got inside and they began the "performance." I've never been to a murder mystery dinner before, but obviously the idea is that it's interactive, so they first had us all explore around the castle and see the different towers--even the dungeon/prison!
The "jailer" put us in the stocks and prison.
Afterwards, we sat down for dinner. As we were settling in to enjoy ourselves, I got picked to help perform a role in the mystery! Or should I say, they asked me and Tommy volunteered me. The guy in charge brought me outside and I didn't come back in until I was dressed up and speaking some lines (as "Karen Heart," the daughter of the king, or something like that).
This was our dinner--they brought out an enormous roasted pig surrounded by Cornish game hens, with potatoes and carrots and a piece of bread. I think they were trying to go for medieval-style food.
After dinner, I had to get up and do more lines--along with other people; it wasn't just me--and eventually there were a lot of clues dropped by all the characters and we were given some time to discuss who we thought did it. Tommy and I figured out pretty fast that--I was the guilty one! Haha! So funny to be pulled out of the crowd to perform and then to find out that I was the "murderer."
They brought us outside and threatened to throw us (me and my conspirator) into the moat. Luckily they didn't actually go that far.
And, we sang Happy Birthday to all the people who were celebrating there--including Tommy!
Me and the knight in charge, Sir James, after I'd taken off my medieval garb.
The experience was definitely cheesy and silly at some points, but totally hilarious and fun at the same time. Tommy and I were laughing because we were probably some of the youngest people there--most of them were middle-aged or really old. Tommy had a great time laughing at me while I was performing the whole time, too. It was such a fun, out-of-the-ordinary date to do together. I'm glad Tommy's such a good sport and easy to please--although I'm sure he would have liked skydiving too! And so fun to celebrate Tommy's birthday too.
No comments:
Post a Comment