12 December 2014

moving

We are moving in the morning. Why am I blogging, you ask? Because our crazy child has been sitting in his crib for 1.5 hours yelling and jumping and playing and will NOT calm down or go to sleep on his own unless we sit in here with him and tell him over and over again to "Stop talking. Lay down. Go to sleep." It's so strange how kids can be so unaware of everything that is going on. We're moving into a house, he's getting sick (again), so many things going on and it doesn't change his activities in the slightest. He'll still stay up forever and not go to sleep for as long as he darn well wants to. Gahhh.

I am fully, overly, totally DONE with moving. I never, ever want to do it again. I truly, truly do not know how people do it with more stuff and more kids than what we have right now. It has taken so much time and effort for me to pack up the little amount of stuff that we have in our two bedroom apartment, and it terrifies me to think about having to pack up a house the size of my parents' with that much more stuff in it. I have been feeling really great the last few weeks--I LOVE being busy, and it has been perfect to have so much going on, with packing and Christmas cards and collecting addresses and grading final exams and papers. But the last two days I have gone from feeling fulfilled and busy to stressed and overwhelmed and being worried that we won't get everything done (even though we will, obviously, we're almost there). Tommy has had a freak crisis happen on his team the last two weeks at work, so he has been working all hours--of course, the week we are moving--and I have been doing everything by myself. I know this is normal--probably most families where one spouse works the other does all the moving--but it sure doesn't feel normal to me, after having Tommy around to help with all of our other moves.

Okay, not to complain too much. I am obviously dwelling on this because we are literally doing this in twelve hours. Let's talk about things I am grateful for, just to balance out the whininess of the beginning of this post:

I can't believe we're buying a house and that it's so nice and perfect for us.
I am so, so grateful for the wonderful people in our ward who have helped us with this move (and will be helping us tomorrow). I've had three different people watch Dane for me so that I could get mornings of packing done without him being here, and one of our friends/relatives is taking Dane all day tomorrow so that we can move and start unpacking. I think I would have lost my mind without that help!
I'm grateful for all of our stuff that we have, as annoying as it all is to pack into boxes and move.
I am so grateful that Tommy has a good job and that it is usually (always except for right now, apparently) not overly demanding and his schedule is so relaxed compared to so many other people.
I'm glad that Tommy's commute is only a ten-minute drive.
I'm glad that I've been able to teach this semester--I was really feeling uninspired halfway through the semester and really wanted to make this my last semester, but I just read my students' final reflections and I feel really good about what they've learned and what they got out of the class. A lot of them (probably sucking up, I know, but it still feels good to read it) said that they loved the class and learned a lot. Hooray!
I'm so grateful to get out of his apartment, where our neighbors roam the complex at 1am screaming for their dogs at the top of their lungs.
I am so glad that baby is healthy and growing perfectly and has a great heartbeat and is a boy. I can't wait for Dane and baby to share a room and to be little buddies wrestling on the trampoline together.

Okay, I feel a lot better.

(And Dane's STILL awake, rolling around in his porta-crib. What is up with this child?)

No comments: