10 October 2014

taking care of ourselves

I am a little bit alarmed with my state of mind lately, because I can literally not get myself to do anything useful. Ever. I have not done one bit of housework other than making dinner and (occasionally) doing dishes in probably a month. I am trying to be better, if for no other reason than it is not fair to Tommy! But I am so tired lately that I seriously cannot make myself do anything other than do something fun with Dane in the morning and read or nap or grade during his nap. 

This is because I am pregnant, blogosphere. I'm sorry to any of our friends who I haven't told yet but probably should have, but there's a good reason: see above paragraph. But look at how cute Dane is in his little shirt announcing it! We sent this pic to our siblings a few weeks ago.


Yep, baby #2 is coming in April 2015, and we are excited. 

Wow, this is the worst baby announcement blog post ever, but I'm so lazy right now I don't even care.

Along with and kind of related to that, we have been doing an amazing job of taking care of ourselves lately. We have had more doctor's appointments in the last two months than we probably ever did for our whole marriage. We all had dentist appointments (Dane's first and Tommy's and my first since we lived in Utah--whew!), Tommy had a physical, I have had several OB appointments, Dane had his yearly ped check-up, we all got flu shots, and I had three moles removed at the dermatologist, one of which they had to go back and dig out more so I now have a giant two-inch scar in my thigh that's stitched up and very itchy. (I think I'm up to 15 moles removed now--yay for beating skin cancer!) We have never had so much healthy stuff going on since, being grad students, we never used our minimal health insurance for anything, but now that all this stuff is covered, we're being really proactive. I hope we can just keep it up as a good habit, since I'm usually terrible at any sort of thing that's just routine maintenance (like haircuts, cleaning the bathrooms, etc.). 

We also had a good spiritual boost this weekend watching General Conference. Dane was a dream this time around and was so happy just playing with trains or blocks on the floor with Daddy while we watched/listened. It was the first time we actually got to pay attention to most of General Conference since he was born (except for maybe the first one, when he was 3 weeks old). Later on I'm sure we'll have to get more creative to get him to be happy, but it was so much easier than it's ever been. Conference was very good this time, I felt. I loved many of the talks, like Elder Holland and Pres. Uchtdorf (but I like them no matter what, I feel like). I feel motivated to be more loving and forgiving to others and to myself. 

Snuggling with Mommy and watching the prophet.

Using the train tracks to spell out Dane's name (although he had no idea, of course). 

These two cuties let me sleep in on Sunday morning and made our favorite traditional orange rolls together. It was so adorable--Dane LOVES helping in the kitchen and even though it takes longer having him help, it is so cute to see how excited he is to help. And the orange rolls were amazing. 
But seriously, how cute are they together?

Our lives are super not-exciting right now, but most of that is my fault for being a lazy bum. But we are trying to act a little more like grown-ups, by doing things like choosing appropriate health insurance and having regular doctor's visits and even looking into buying a house (yikes!!). And I'm turning 26 this weekend and Tommy's big 3-0 is in November, so we're getting up there! (Big joke.) I guess having kid #2 come along means that we are really and truly becoming adults, although I still catch myself acting like an angsty thirteen-year-old sometimes. Does that ever go away? Someday I hope it will. 

2 comments:

Camille Giullian said...

Hooray Dane's going to be a good (and hilarious) big brother!

BreAnna said...

Congratulations! You have the most adorable family. And the new little one will just add to it!