29 January 2010

journals

i'm bad at writing in a journal. i was really good for one year of college, and on my study abroad, and then i got home and never wrote in it again. (almost not an exaggeration.) my journal doesn't even know i'm married. if i died, and everyone forgot about me and then someone found my journal, all they would know about me is that i loved spain and that i had some awesome roommates. i would forever be laura alyse murphy circa 2 years ago.

so i thought about how many things people DON'T journal about and therefore, those things aren't recorded for anyone in the future, and how many happenings NOBODY remembers.

i told my mom i felt like blogging was a waste of time because i know something like 4 people read it (including myself) and she said i needed to keep doing it because i will be glad to have something like this as a family history later in life, something that i can show my kids about life before they existed. well, if that's the case, hello, future children.

so i guess this blog is like a journal. so i don't have to feel bad about not writing in one and saving all of the precious memories tommy and i are creating (all of our hours of studying in the library and whatnot). what a relief.

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

Hi, Alyse...You may not remember me but I'm Denice's friend.

I hope you don't mind, but I read your blog and I love it.

My senior seminar class was deconstructing women's journals and my greatest saddness was that no women in my family had kept journals. And a blog IS a journal! So just keep blogging.

Thanks for writing.

janica said...

keep writing, i read your blog. and i love it. the end

Anonymous said...

4 readers, yah right.
3 comments right here.

carcar said...

yea yea.

Denice said...

What about "Walk the line with the Leiningers"... sorry I have no idea how to spell your last name (I know I just botched it), but I am trying to do something cool with "line" in it... :)

Kristin said...

I love your blog!! Don't stop writing. And you have AT LEAST 6 readers (: Not to mention your followers and of course your wonderful Mom and all those readers that don't comment! Keep writing, you are really good at it!!