as my mom and roommates can testify, i've always hated cooking. i don't want to wait for my food, i just want to eat it right then and get going. my mom used to call me to the kitchen and ask me very kindly to help make the sunday rolls or just a green salad, for crying out loud, and i would put up a fuss and yell and run away and hide in a corner. (i'm not even really exaggerating here.) and since i've been in college, i've mostly existed on a diet of macaroni and cheese, cold cereal, and PB&J sandwiches. tommy's roommates still praise me for my mac-and-cheese skillz, and are shocked when they find me eating anything else.
but in the last few weeks, i've found out that i kind of LIKE cooking. i'm trying to figure out what has changed my anti-cooking feelings so drastically, and i've come up with this reason:
-the world is coming to an end.
or, maybe it has something to do with:
-actually having the cooking supplies that are necessary (like pots and pans and cheese graters and spatulas and sharp knives) and having them be NICE and not trashy.
-having a kitchenaid (this falls under the above reason, but it's such an exciting machine i wanted to include it on its own)
-having the right ingredients and a place to keep them
-having someone to cook for and with (because tommy helps more than i do)
-having tons and tons of delicious-looking recipes and cookbooks that i'm excited to learn how to make
i didn't have any of these things of my own before, but this has all changed with getting married and the wonderful, amazing, generous people who have given us our new kitchen supplies. last week, we made homemade bread, homemade ice cream, a delicious cake, and snickerdoodles. we're eventually going to work our way up to real food and not just desserts. it's been fun. more fun than i ever would have expected. mom, gloat all you want!
4 comments:
I'm totally right there with you! I used to not like cooking, but now I LOVE it and soo look forward to it!
When we lived in 645, I baked a cheesecake for Nathan... I was SO excited for him to try it. He kindly ate a whole piece and told me it was great. Then I tried some and realized the whole cake was curdled!! I didn't know you had to let the cream cheese come to room temperature before combining with all ingredients!! Yuck. I threw the whole thing out! So you can think of me (and laugh!) when you guys make your first cheesecake!
It is so fun to experiment in the kitchen-- especially cooking treats!! (:
i know! we're making some kind of cake for dinner this sunday and i'm really excited about it.
I fell off of my chair when I read this one I was so shocked! I am proud of you. Go forth and conquer the kitchen!
Post a Comment