01 December 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

Up until about two weeks before Thanksgiving we still weren't sure exactly what we were going to do. We had gone down to Houston the last two years for Thanksgiving, and always have SUCH a nice time there, but the thought of packing up and driving there for a few days just seemed like too much work to me. We went too many places this year and I didn't WANT to do any more trips. But we decided to go for it and enjoy the family time. It would have been more work to organize a Thanksgiving here anyways. My aunt Kaylene is always so nice and says, "Just make two pies and come!" So we show up with our paltry contribution and eat our hearts out. The day before leaving to go up I was seriously regretting the decision, because I was just dreading all the work of leaving the house--cleaning everything perfectly, putting everything away, making the pies, packing ALL THE STUFF for the boys. Someday they will be able to pack for themselves, right? And they won't need bags and bags and BAGS of stuff? We always have to bring so many random little things, like toothbrushes and pacifiers for Graham and socks and sippy cups, and this time we had to bring about 5 types of medicine along with us. Gahhh.

But it was of course really fun once we were there. The Thanksgiving meal itself was perfect, and we got to spend the weekend with my cousins and their kids, which was all we could ask for. Dane and Graham were in absolute heaven the whole time. If we could just live there and go there all the time, they would be so happy.

These were the two pies I made this year. I was so proud of that apple pie. It looks gorgeous, right? And someone was eating it and telling me how it was absolutely amazing (without knowing I made it), and it felt awesome. To be honest, I cried while I was making them because I had to do the crust a couple of times because I put in about 4 times the amount of water it required on accident. It was the worst. And then it turned out we had 3 apple pies and 3 pecan pies! So mine weren't even needed, haha! But it was actually fun to make them, once I got over that hurdle, and I want to make more of them.

Tommy made a totally amateur parent move (ha!) and gave Dane a plate full of the amazing Thanksgiving food. Dane ate about three bites of mashed potatoes and a roll before running off to play with the other kids. 


We ate pie for the next three days straight. So awesome.

Most of the group that was there. Lots of distant relatives.

The kids were being whacky later that night, and Tanner took them and told them stories for half an hour. They were all so into it. 

Dane's face during the story. WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!?

The day after Thanksgiving, we went to Brazos Bend State Park where they have an alligator preserve. I've heard about this place from the Colemans for over a decade and never been. I was nervous that Graham would get snatched by an alligator or something, but that was a super over-active imagination. We saw about four alligators, but from a distance and in the water swimming. It was mostly a nice walk around the little lake in some really gorgeous temperatures.

Everyone looking for an alligator.


Dane and Graham walked holding hands for a long time. Graham was cackling with joy like he couldn't believe his good luck being treated like a big kid.


The Colemans, Bodines, Colemans, and us. Fun crowd!

It was some beautiful swampland.

I love this picture. These kids were so cute.




They got to pet a baby alligator at the nature center there too.

Graham really liked Truston and kept running up and trying scare him. So funny.

On Saturday we drove into Houston and met Tommy's old mission companion/roommate and his family at the Houston Arboretum. We walked around there and just chatted with them. It was fun.

Chris's sister and her family were there, and between the three families there were 11 kids we were keeping track of. Graham was actively trying to climb down into the water where the turtles were. We saw some pretty awesome ones.

They were mission companions 10 years ago--crazy.

Graham had a rough day that day. He fell about 10 times and got so many scrapes on his face. The worst was when he fell off the ladder on the bunk bed--or something like that, we weren't actually in the room and are going off of the four-year-old's explanations--and got his first black eye. His face was all swollen. We let the kids just watch Paw Patrol the rest of the day and they were all super happy about that.


Poor Graham! He was a good sport though. We were glad we brought the baby Tylenol to help with his swollen face so he could sleep.

In the end, it was totally worth the trip. We had a great time with all the family and friends we saw. We drove down Thursday morning and came back early Sunday morning, and made great time both ways--I think that's totally the way to go to avoid the traffic. I am so glad we went, and I am also glad that we are not going anywhere for Christmas this year. For the first year ever! But this year, the party is coming to us, and we are really excited about that.

No comments: