21 October 2016

Mommy and Daddy dates

Something that I love in theory but that we haven't implemented much in practice is the idea of Mommy dates or Daddy dates. I remember doing Daddy dates when I was young and loving it and feeling so special getting to go do something fun just by myself with my dad. I think it will become more and more important as our kids get older and as we have more of them. But we did get the chance for each of us to go do something with Dane in the last few weeks, and had a lot of fun with that. And I am also loving the little one-on-one time I am getting with Grahammy while Dane goes to Joy School (although with all the sickness we've had lately, he's missed a lot of Joy School). 

Tommy took Dane to Home Depot to do one of their building workshops, where they built a fire truck together. It is so cute how excited Dane gets about building things and using real tools. I think we need to come up with a real project around the house for him and Tommy to do together. (Maybe Tommy doesn't think that.)


On Columbus Day, Tommy sent me and Dane out to do something fun together. It was really good because we had been butting heads a lot lately, and it was good for me to physically shut down the nagging Mom side of myself and just have fun with him. We went to see a movie together. We saw the Storks movie, and it was a BAD idea to go see a movie about storks delivering babies while pregnant. I cried for like 15 minutes of the movie. It wasn't sad--it wasn't even trying to be sad. I just cried seeing those animated babies being brought to their animated families who wanted them. It was really embarrassing and I tried to stay in the theater for a few extra minutes in the dark so nobody could see how all my mascara was gone and my eyes were puffy while we were leaving. It was almost as bad as the time when I was pregnant with Dane and we watched the Star Trek movie where the dad dies saving the ship in the first scene while his wife is giving birth to their first son and I sobbed for like 20 minutes. 

We of course brought our own homemade popcorn. We are not going to buy the movie theater stuff, come on!

These pics are not from a Mommy or Daddy date, but just a family date of sorts later on Columbus Day. We went to Lowe's together to pick up some new sand for the boys' sandbox (which was an awesome purchase--they have played in it for an hour every day since) and then stopped by Sonic to have an ice cream cone right before dinner. We wanted to do something fun and not stress about ruining people's dinner. They were both so happy eating their ice cream cones. After a while they were running around the (empty) eating area touching all the dirty stuff and yelling and laughing and having so much fun. Eventually it got a little out of hand and we wanted to go home and Graham was so, so, SO sad when we picked him up, took away his nasty, dripping, dirt-covered ice cream cone away. It was adorable and sad.

But, I mean, does life get any better than this???

No comments: