08 July 2016

Dane boy


I don't want to think about how Dane is almost FOUR. I keep thinking he is 3 1/2, but he's now closer to 4 than 3 1/2. Major tears even just imagining that. He's such a big boy now--literally. Total boy, no toddler any more. A few things lately:

- He really loves doing our preschool time together. He likes having his little calendar, where we talk about the weather of the day, what day of the week it is, and what month it is. We have been practicing learning scriptures together, and he kind of acts like he doesn't want to do it, but he memorized 2 Nephi 2:25 in about three days. "Adam fell that men might be, and men are that they might have joy." (I chose a super short one at first because I wasn't sure how he would take to it.) He's basically memorized 1 Nephi 3:7 too now, which I am very impressed by. He's got a great memory--which we have learned by him internalizing things from our conversations that he overhears and then later asks us about (showing us we need to be careful what we talk about around him).

- He's totally becoming more aware of the world around us. We told him about the earthquakes in Ecuador a few months ago, and he has been worried about Grandma and Papa going down to Ecuador last week, saying, "Mommy, I don't want there to be more earthquakes with Grandma and Papa there." He talks about tornadoes here in Texas too. We told him about the police officers that died this morning, and he was asking me about it through the day. Sad, hard things, but he picks up on hearing us talk about them and then we try to explain it in an age-appropriate way.

- He insists that he's not "cute," or "handsome," or "cool"--the only descriptor he will allow is "big brother." So if we accidentally say, "Wow, you look so handsome," we have to quickly modify it to, "Wow, you look like such a big brother."

- Every. Single. Sentence these days is preceded by, "Hey mom. Guess what." "Hey mom. Guess what. I like PB and J." "Hey mom. Guess what. We're going to the Fun Club." "Hey mom. Guess what. What are we doing tomorrow?" I'm not sure he gets what is worth "guessing."

- We are reading chapter books together, which I love. And which he loves. I know he's not getting all of it, but he does seem to be understanding quite a lot.

- Every time Tommy comes home from work, Dane likes to hide from him and wait for Tommy to come find him. He will run and dive under the covers on our bed, or in the empty cupboard in our kitchen, or in his closet in his room. If we're already sitting and eating at the table, he will just bend over so you can just see the top of his head and not his eyes, and he feels like that is sufficient hiding for Daddy. Tommy is always very nice and acts surprised to find him every day.

- Whenever we drive anywhere, Dane likes to bring his stuffed frog Charlie, buckle him in to the seatbelt next to his carseat, and have him go to his own imaginary places while we go to our real places. When we go to the Fun Club, "Charlie is going to his Fun Club now." When we go to church, Charlie goes to his church. Charlie is amazing at unbuckling his seatbelt and always getting back to the car by himself before us.

- He is very serious that he is a superhero. He says it very matter-of-factly: "You know, I'm a superhero. I can fly." I was trying to talk to him about how superheroes help people (you know, use this interest to promote his development into being a good person or something), and he just kept saying, "Yeah, and they fight the bad guys." I guess that's better than nothing.

- We read this really cute book about the true story behind Winnie the Pooh, and it talked about WWI and soldiers going to fight in the war. Ever since then, he has been very interested in talking about "war" and having his toys fight in wars together. It makes me sad to hear it, because I don't want him thinking about something so harsh and sad, and pretending about it! I'm trying to steer him in a different direction whenever I hear him talking about it to his toys. I don't know how, but boys just automatically get taught about fighting from such a young age. Dane has never seen a superhero show except The Incredibles, and he's watched the Stripling Warriors Living Scriptures movie (which he loves), and I think that's been enough to make him think a lot about fighting. There's nothing for it except to talk about it a lot and try to share what we want him to get out of it.

- Dane is going to do Joy School in the fall with some friends in our ward. I am so excited for him. It is going to be so cute and fun to see him doing that.

No comments: