02 March 2016

First Trip to Disneyland!

I just got back from a trip to California to visit my parents before they leave on their mission to Ecuador. I found some really cheap tickets on Southwest, and I knew I had to go. (We are going to go out there for their farewell in May too, but probably not for very long.) And while we were there, my parents wanted to take Dane to Disneyland. Funny enough, my family's been in southern California for over 20 years, and we probably go to Disneyland less than most people who live out of state. Tommy's family went to Disneyland more often than I did growing up! I do love Disneyland, and even had a season pass my senior year of high school (which I bought myself), but the last time I went, I was pregnant with Dane--and after that trip, Tommy and I both agreed we didn't really care to go again until we were going with and for our kids. I also HATE crowded places (I get more anti-crowds the more I get older) so I never want to go to Disneyland in the summer or on a weekend. 

But this trip worked out great. I was kind of apprehensive to take the two boys because I imagined there would be a lot of meltdowns and crying and tiredness, but they were really pretty good! I'm really glad we went because we won't be going back to California for the three years while they're gone, so the next time we'd be able to go is when Dane is almost seven. There were some really cute moments that made the whole trip worth it.

On the bus driving from the parking lot to Disneyland. Dane was THRILLED to ride on a bus. Not even kidding--on the way home he said his favorite part of the day was riding on the bus. 

The best we could do for a picture.

We MISSED Tommy. I was so sad he couldn't be there for their first trip to Disneyland. It felt like something he should have been there for. Stinkin' vacation days.

Dane first went on Pinocchio (no line, of course) and was pretty scared. So we took him on Dumbo next and that was a big hit. Just his speed.

He was very serious about steering our Dumbo up and down.


We went on the Storybook Land boat ride, which I'd never even done before! It was really cute. Dane was excited to take the boat into the whale's mouth.

Dane was a little freaked out by the Buzz Lightyear ride too. It was a little dark and LOUD inside there. But he did like seeing Buzz in the line while we were waiting.


He just snuggled up next to Cole and hid for most of the ride.

Graham loved seeing the ducks walking around Disneyland. Seriously almost his favorite part.

Once again--I wish Tommy could have been there with us.


Tommy just asked that we try to get Dane and Graham Mickey Mouse hats and take a picture with them. Dane refused to get a hat until he saw the Tigger hats, and he was SO happy to wear it. So cute!


First attempt to get both boys wearing their hats. Graham HATES hats. Didn't work too well.

We went on the Winnie the Pooh ride and then got to meet Tigger and Pooh. OH MY GOODNESS, Dane was so cute. I do not believe in wasting time to meet the characters--or at least, I never have until now. These were the only two we waited to meet, but Dane was so happy because he loves them so much. It was adorable. He just ran up to them and gave them big hugs and acted all shy and quiet, like he was starstruck.



Graham eventually crashed in the front pack and took a 45-minute nap. He fell asleep as we walked over to Splash Mountain, so I didn't go on and stayed out with him. Dane was BARELY tall enough to go on Splash Mountain, and I thought he would probably be scared but might like it. So he went, and things started off well but ended up pretty sad.



He did not like the big drop in the dark tunnel. Poor guy. It's hard to remember what things are scary when you're so little. He was pretty big and brave though.

The last ride we went on was It's a Small World. Graham woke up right as we were getting on the ride, and he absolutely loved it. I wanted to watch his face the whole time we were in there. He was staring around and everything and smiling and looking totally awed.

So, so, amazed by how cool Small World was.

We came out of Small World and there was a Disney parade going on, so we stood and watched it for a little while.

Dane was really looking tired at this point.


This was the best we could do for a picture with Graham and his hat. We can try again later.

All in all, I'm so glad we went! And glad we left early (around 5:00) to get the boys to bed and didn't try to push them till later. Dane was totally done and burned out, and Graham was super slap happy and tired too. We only even took them on seven rides! The park opened late that day, so we weren't able to be there all that long. But all in all, I was really impressed by how well they did, because I was so worried they were going to crash and be way too tired and worn out by it all. It was a great experience, and I'm really excited to take them back again when they're bigger.

No comments: