We were totally crazy this year and decided to DRIVE to Utah for our family reunions. It was a total cost-saving measure and in the end, it might work out to be worth it--but driving some 60 total hours in our car with a toddler and infant has been seriously tough. We sadly have about a third of those hours left still to do when we drive back from California... But I'm trying not to think about that. I have some tips for anyone crazy enough to do the same thing:
• Overprepare. Bring too many snacks, toys, books, movies. You will not regret it. The DVD player is your friend. Buy toys at the dollar store and wrap them up like presents for desperate moments.
• Stop often for short breaks and take at least 2 long breaks to let kids run around. Don't stop just to eat at fast food and then hop back in the car. Let them stretch out.
• Nighttime is a great time to drive--if your kids will fall asleep. If they won't, it stinks.
• Try to plan at least one fun thing to do that makes the drive feel less like drudgery and more like an adventure.
• if you are about to lose it, stop and get out. Or just stop for the night. Getting an extra two hours in won't be worth it if you've lost your sanity.
We took two and a half days to drive from Dallas to Ogden, starting Wednesday night and getting there Friday afternoon, right in time for Troy's wedding dinner. Because Graham is such a wild card in the car, we had to have one of us sitting in the back next to him to put his pacifier in and get Dane his toys and movies. This basically meant that Tommy and I didn't get to do anything fun to entertain ourselves, but it's surprising how little that matters when all you want is to prevent the screaming.
Leaving home, so excited.
So happy watching his shows! Anything goes on a day full of driving!
Giant sticker book for the win.
Fun hike in Arches National Park after spending the night in Moab. It was a really tough hike to do with two little kids, but really fun.
Really, I don't know if we are converted to only driving instead of flying (although it definitely saved us money). We are probably just in an especially hard stage with a baby. But we survived!








2 comments:
I think we may have been in Ogden around the same time - bummed that I missed you guys! Hope you got back home safely!
I'll call you when we drive to Utah someday.
Post a Comment