25 May 2015

Father-Son Campout

Last weekend, Tommy and Dane got to go to our ward father-son campout. I think I was more excited for them to go than either of them were--I just knew how much FUN Dane was going to have and I was practically giddy with thinking of how cute it was for them to be there together. Dane has been SUCH a trooper with all the adjusting we've all had to do around here, and he really deserved some serious one-on-one time with his dad and playtime with his friends at the campout. So Graham and I had a quiet evening here at home while they went camping. It has been SO rainy here all month, but despite the forecast, it was clear (almost) the whole time they went, and they didn't even come home totally muddy. 
This is how excited they were to go:

Dane is still trying to figure out how to do "thumbs up."

I told Dane, "I'll miss you so much! I'm going to cry the whole time you're gone!" and halfway to the campgrounds, he told Tommy, "Mommy's crying right now!"

Dane was in heaven the whole time. He spent all evening and all morning wandering around with the other two-year-old boys who were there, playing in the fields, playing soccer, and dragging around some really huge sticks.

Dane and his friend Liam.

Dane and Ben carrying an enormous stick together.


They both had their own little monkey chairs from Kroger.

After a long night in the tent--still smiling and happy! (This was inside the tent, which is why it's all pink.)


They had a blast. Tommy possibly got an even better night of sleep in the tent than he would have here--courtesy of Graham--and Dane seriously could not have been happier. There were a few meltdowns on Saturday because of how tired he was, but it was totally worth it. If only Tommy could bring Dane camping with him on the Scout campouts--Dane would be in heaven! Maybe in a few years that would be manageable... but as it is, this one time was a treat for them.

No comments: