My heart kind of aches that I will never be able to capture all the cute and funny things about Dane in every stage (and I'm sure it'll only get worse with another baby). I try really hard to write things down when they happen, but there's only so much you can do. Dane is in such a delightful stage lately (most of the time)--he is a WONDERFUL napper, he has really begun to play soo happily by himself for long stretches of time (possibly because he has all these fun new trains and cars he got for Christmas), and he talks ALL THE TIME. I absolutely love it.
I love that he has no filter and everything he's thinking just comes out of his mouth. We'll just be talking and having a normal conversation and then out of nowhere he'll say, "I'm a baboon! Ba ba ba ba!" 95% of the time our conversations switch gears halfway through and we end up talking about trucks and cars, because that's where is mind is always going.
Yesterday, Dane came up into the kitchen with his arms outstretched and yelled, "YETTT IT GOOOOOO! YET IT GOOOOO!" We haven't watched that clip from Frozen for ages but he for some reason wanted to act out the Let It Go song. I just burst out laughing. Of course he wouldn't do it when I tried to get it on camera for Tommy.
Today at lunch, I said, "So, Dane, how about we have mac n cheese, blueberries, and carrots for lunch?" And he said, "Mmmmmm, how about some french fries?" Hahaha. He often will say things like, "How 'bout... how 'bout... hmmmm" when he's trying to stall me from doing something.
Whenever we ask him something that he doesn't want to answer, he'll just say, "Nope." If it's something too simplistic or obvious--"Nope." If we're trying to get him to say something he knows we already know--"Nope."
We've started to have him "help" setting the table. We always act so happy and surprised when he does it, and he LOVES it. He's actually pretty good at it too. He even knows to put the fork and knife on opposite sides of the plate now. A lot of times, he'll go put the plates on the table and then come back in the kitchen and say, "Faaaank youuu, faaank youuu," in this totally fake affected voice (like the voice we use with him when he's doing a good job at setting the table) and gives us both these big hugs.
He is absolutely angelic about his routines lately. He will usually stay in his crib for a while in the mornings before I come get him, and for a while before his nap and before bed while he's falling asleep. And he always just talks happily to himself and plays. I think he really likes that quiet play time in his bed. When we get him out of bed in the morning and after nap, he immediately gets down and walks straight into his toy room to play. Such a cute little routine. And he has his bedtime routines DOWN--he is super happy to go to bed as long as we've read a couple of books to him. Whenever we say "Should we read some books?", he'll say, " And then it's naptime!" He also always reminds us about reading scriptures (even though he acts like he hates it when we do get around to it).
I love how into his toys he is. He LOVES the little Thomas trains we got him for Christmas, and the set of cars from Cars that my mom got for him. He always, always has one of them that he carries around with him these days. And he always knows which ones he's missing. He'll come up to me and say, "Mommy, I don't know where my Thomas is." And then we have to go find him, wherever he may be.
We try to talk a lot about "the baby" and how he's going to have a baby brother soon. He likes the thought of a baby, but this entire pregnancy--ever since we've told him about a baby--he has been very insistent on saying, "I'm a baby." Any time we say anything about him being so big, he says, "I'm little. I'm a baby." Just right now, he climbed on my lap and said, "I'm da baby brother." He's just about the first toddler I've known who doesn't insist on being soooo big. I'm not sure if all of this insistence on being the baby is denial about being supplanted, but I'm sure finding it cute because I don't want him to be any bigger than he already is!
No comments:
Post a Comment